30 December 2006

2006 in Review SHS

Perhaps the most important lesson to be learned from having a limited income is that one is forced to learn discipline. To pay for necessities first and then save up not only enough money to purchase a luxury at a far later time than initially desired, but to save much more than would be required, in order to be constantly prepared to cope with those unexpected, yet somehow almost routine, 'emergencies'. The kind of immediate reparational expenditures that always seem to come at the most inopportune moments. The dead car battery, the traffic ticket, the crashed computer, etc.

But successfully developing the habit of saving far more than necessary for those 'unexpected' emergencies, teaches the most powerful lesson of 'delayed gratification' that is somewhat ironically, more useful in non-monetary questions than it is for healthy financial ones.

2006 has, to me, been a year-long case study of this lesson. For 'doing without' for an extended period of time teaches one the true value of particular things far more powerfully than any lecturer or book could ever do. With two equally useful conclusions. The first is that having done without something for a long while, ones learns that it was not something that was as truly necessary or even as enjoyable and rewarding as previously thought. The second is that any relatively prolonged abstinence from something makes the next opportunity to engage it so much more enjoyable and fulfilling.

It is as if the only way to truly determine the value of something is to abstain from it long enough for the body and mind to wholly conclude that it is a thing that is either absolutely vital, entirely unnecessary, or as is more often the case, something which is best enjoyed on a very limited, either random or routine, basis.

With less than a dozen hours left in 2006, midnight will mark for me an entire calendar year in which I have not :

Purchased another guitar, Written or recorded another song, Stepped inside a Pub, Stepped foot in Arkansas, Seen any of my, four score or so, relatives other than my own hostage to Fortune, Performed on stage, Signed any contracts, Given money to a streetcorner beggar, or driven more than a hundred miles which was not absolutely necessary. (and yes, other things too)

All of which I am very proud, and in addition to not being arrested, shot or hanged (which always makes for a good year, regardless) has made for a very instructive and most enjoyable year. The best year of my life. (so far I hope)

Some of the things without which I have done, I look forward to doing again someday, knowing more fully how they are to be enjoyed and properly constituted. And some other things I now know I can easily do without for the rest of my life. Such are the lessons of 2006 on how to be happy, healthy, productive, and self-contained. And though I have no right to complain, I do lament that I did not learn these lessons when I should have, but at least I discovered them in time to impart them to others.

And finally, for the sake of some balance, this year I did purchase, for the first time, several cartons of cigarettes at once. I can blame it on the new tax to come into effect tomorrow, but I did it anyway and I rather enjoyed it. I look forward to smoking each and every one of them with abandon, for I do believe that in order to be healthy, one must be happy. Even if it requires doing something that others frown upon, perhaps especially so.

stephenhsmith
31dec2006